- Be alert to construction crews working throughout the night from 7:00PM to 7:00AM at the intersection of Richardson Highway/Steese Highway and Airport Way/Gaffney Road and at the following intersections along Airport Way:
- Steese Highway/Richardson Highway/Gaffney Road
- Noble Street, Barnette Street/Gillam Way, Lathrop Street
- Wilbur Street, Market Street, Washington Drive, and Sportsman Way/Old Airport Way
- Expect NEW TRAFFIC PATTERNS at the following high-speed intersections:
- Johansen Expressway at Steese Highway and Danby Street
- Steese Highway at Farmers Loop
- Mitchell Expressway at Lathrop Street, Peger Road, and University Avenue
- Richardson Highway/Steese Highway at Airport Way
- Construction crews are now moving into Phase 2 of this project. Crews are working from 7:00am to 7:00pm daily at the following intersections:
- Steese Highway at College Road and Trainor Gate Road
- Airport Way at University Avenue, Peger Road, and Cowles Street
- Peger Road at Davis Road
- College Road at Illinois Street and Old Steese Highway
- Dartmouth Drive at Chena Pump Road
- Badger Road at Old Richardson Highway
- Drivers should be aware that traffic signals will be turned off with flaggers present between 9:00am and 3:00pm daily.
- Drivers should expect traffic signals to be turned off or flashing, flagging operations, occasional LANE CLOSURES and pedestrian DETOURS.
Construction crews will be working to remove old signals and poles and upgrading to a new signal system. Drivers should expect nightly flagging operations at four-way intersections, though NO ROAD CLOSURES are anticipated at this time. Drivers should also expect NEW TRAFFIC PATTERNS on the message boards in advance of the signal work. Be alert for signal outages, LANE RESTRICTIONS, flaggers and stop signs to control traffic in the intersections. Slow down when approaching advanced warning construction signs and devices. Use caution and watch for workers, equipment, and pedestrians in and near the work zones.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in partnership with HC Contractors and B&B Electric, is working to perform signal modifications at multiple locations throughout the Fairbanks area, including installing signal heads, flashing yellow arrows, and replacing supplemental signal heads.
HC Contractors and B&B Electric