3rd Street is CLOSED between Eagle Avenue and Hamilton Avenue. Drivers should follow the posted DETOUR at Eagle Avenue and Hamilton Avenue.
3rd Street is CLOSED between the Old Steese Highway and the Steese Expressway. Drivers should follow the posted DETOUR at the Old Steese Highway and the Steese Expressway.
Forty Mile Avenue off of 3rd Street is CLOSED. Please follow the posted DETOUR on 2nd Street. Access to 2nd Street is via the Old Steese Highway.
- Through October, the 3rd Street intersections at Hamilton Avenue and the Old Steese Highway are controlled as four-way stops.
- Crews will be working during the day from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm.
- Drivers should follow the posted DETOUR ROUTES for access to 3rd Street. Business access will remain open.
- Pedestrian traffic heading east on 3rd Street from the Steese Expressway will be detoured onto 4th Street behind the Eagle Plaza Mall or 2nd Street near the Lat 65 Brewing Co.
- Pedestrian routes have posted information at intersecting corners to inform on designated paths and destinations.
- Access to Graehl Park is currently through 2nd Street via the Old Steese Highway.
- Eagle Avenue now has full access to the Steese Expressway.
Throughout the construction season, be alert to SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC, construction equipment and workers in the roadway, flagging operations and LANE CLOSURES.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in cooperation with HC Contractors, is working to widen 3rd Street between the Old Steese Highway and Hamilton Avenue, which will also include upgrading utilities and resurfacing the roadway. Will work include removing existing asphalt, replacement of facilities, relocating overhead power, as well as development of new pedestrian facilities and asphalt. This project is expected to be complete in June 2022.