Beginning Wednesday, June 1, the Steese Expressway between 10th Avenue and College Road will be CLOSED. 3rd Street will remain open in both east and west directions during this CLOSURE.
- Crews are working on 3rd Street Monday through Saturday, 24 hours a day.
- During daytime work, crews will be removing curb and gutter along the Steese Expressway.
- Crews will begin performing night work at 7:00pm.
- Expect SINGLE-LANE CLOSURES in each direction on the Steese Expressway.
- Expect flagging operations at the Old Steese Highway and 3rd Street intersection.
Throughout the construction season, be alert to SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC, construction equipment and workers in the roadway, flagging operations and LANE CLOSURES.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in cooperation with HC Contractors, is working to widen 3rd Street between the Old Steese Highway and Hamilton Avenue, which will also include upgrading utilities and resurfacing the roadway. Will work include removing existing asphalt, replacement of facilities, relocating overhead power, as well as development of new pedestrian facilities and asphalt. This project is expected to be complete in June 2022.