- Beginning the week of May 10, please be aware of construction equipment and haul trucks removing material from the shoulders of the road. Equipment will encroach in the travel lanes.
- Drivers should expect shoulder work, lane shifts to accommodate the construction equipment and possible flagging operations.
- Pedestrians should expect detours around work areas on sidewalks and advance warning signs.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in cooperation with SECON, is working to resurface and improve Glacier Highway from Glacier Highway Access Road (near the old Walmart) to the intersection with Vanderbilt Road (toward Twin Lakes). Work will include resurfacing the entire roadway, converting the Renninger Street intersection to a roundabout, adding a traffic signal to the Davis Avenue intersection, adding a sidewalk on the seaward water side of Glacier Highway and adding lighting as needed. Work will also include relocating and improving bus pullouts, adding pedestrian and bicycle crossings at various locations along the corridor and replacing culverts and improving drainage. This is a two year project.
- 2021 Season: Construction between Vanderbilt Road and Davis Avenue, plus culvert work at Switzer Creek.
- 2122 Season: Construction between Davis Avenue and Glacier Highway Access Road (near the old Walmart).