- Crews will be working on lighting and an electrical road crossing at the Glacier Highway and Vanderbilt Hill Road intersection areas. Drivers should expect SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC.
- Crews will be paving the road crossing following this work. Drivers should expect SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC during paving.
- Drivers should be aware of shoulder work, lane shifts, and flagging operations.
- Bus stop shelters have been removed but service will continue.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in cooperation with SECON, is working to resurface and improve Glacier Highway from Glacier Highway Access Road (near the old Walmart) to the intersection with Vanderbilt Road (toward Twin Lakes). Work will include resurfacing the entire roadway, converting the Renninger Street intersection to a roundabout, adding a traffic signal to the Davis Avenue intersection, adding a sidewalk on the seaward water side of Glacier Highway and adding lighting as needed. Work will also include relocating and improving bus pullouts, adding pedestrian and bicycle crossings at various locations along the corridor and replacing culverts and improving drainage. This is a two year project.
- 2021 Season: Construction between Vanderbilt Road and Davis Avenue, plus culvert work at Switzer Creek.
- 2022 Season: Construction between Davis Avenue and Glacier Highway Access Road (near the old Walmart).