The Parks-bound lanes of the Mitchell Expressway are CLOSED for approximately one month, while crews upgrade bridges and resurface the highway. Drivers coming from North Pole will not be able to exit at the Mitchell Expressway and will need to continue to Airport Way as a DETOUR. Drivers should expect DELAYS at the Airport Way and Steese Expressway intersection. During this CLOSURE, the Richardson-bound lanes of the Mitchell Expressway will be open. Drivers will be able to cross the Mitchell Expressway at the intersections of University Avenue, Peger Road and Lathrop Street. Please follow posted signs for DETOUR routes.
Crews are paving the intersections along the Mitchell Expressway. There will be rolling CLOSURES as crews progress to different intersections. INTERSECTION CLOSURES will occur from 7:00pm to 7:00am on weekdays, and 7:00pm to 10:00am on weekends. The intersections will be open during the day. Please follow all posted signs for DETOUR routes.
- The intersection at Peger Road will be CLOSED at night for 1-2 days. Drivers can use Davis Road and Van Horn Road as a DETOUR to cross the Mitchell Expressway at Lathrop Street.
- Following Peger Road, the intersection at University Avenue will be CLOSED at night for 3-4 days. Drivers should use Airport Way, around the Fairbanks Airport, as a DETOUR to access the east ramp.
- Following University Avenue, the intersection at Lathrop Street will be CLOSED at night for 2-3 days. Drivers should use Davis Road and Van Horn Road as a DETOUR to cross the Mitchell Expressway at Peger Road.
- Expect north and south bound LANE CLOSURES with DETOURS between MP 356 and 362 for approximately one month at a time.
- Drivers should also expect DELAYS while crews are working in the area.
- Construction dates are subject to change. Please pay attention to message boards for updated information.
The Alaska Department of Transportation is working to resurface the Parks Highway and all ramps between MP 356 and 362. Work will include installing roadside hardware, ADA improvements, pavement preservation and bridge work, as well as upgrading drainage, intersections and utilities. We will do our best to keep you informed as work progresses and appreciate your patience and cooperation during construction. This project is expected to be complete in October 2019.