Through the fall, crews will be performing blasting activities on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (blasting days are subject to change) between 9:00am and 10:00am. These blasting activities will require a FULL CLOSURE of the Seward Highway from MP 17 to 22.5. After each CLOSURE, drivers should expect SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC with PILOT CAR and flagging operations.
The expected schedule for each CLOSURE:
- 9:00am – The Seward Highway is CLOSED.
- 9:10am - 9:30am – Crews perform blasting operations.
- 9:30am - 10:00am – All clear and crews begin rock excavation to reopen the Seward Highway as soon as possible.
- 10:00am - 8:00pm – The Seward Highway is reopened to SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC with PILOT CAR and flagging operations.
Once the highway is cleaned and inspected for safety, the roadway will be opened to SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC with flagging operations.
- Drivers should expect daily flagging and PILOT CAR operations from 8:00am to 8:00pm, Monday through Saturday.
- Drivers should be aware of a SINGLE-LANE CLOSURE at the Snow River Center bridge. Be alert to flagging operations.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in cooperation with QAP, is working to improve the Seward Highway between MP 17 and 22.5. Project work includes replacing Victor Creek Bridge, rehabilitating Snow River Bridges, as well as installing grading, drainage, paving, signage and striping. This project is expected to be complete in Fall 2024.